Why are there cracks in my ceiling?
Most ceiling cracks are caused by a variety of factors including your home’s age, the temperature, the external environment, and structural problems with the underlying framework. Some cracks are purely cosmetic while others are a sign of more serious structural damage that needs to be addressed in order to maintain the safety and security of your home. If you are noticing new cracks that are discoloured or spreading throughout the ceiling or down the wall, qualified ceiling fixer like Perth Ceiling Repairs will be able to advise you on the right action to take. This article will deal with the causes and signs of ceiling cracks as well as solutions for managing them.
What Causes Ceiling Cracks?
- Overhead leak: Water from an overhead leak can trickle down between the drywall panels causing the joint tape to come unstuck, creating cracks and an unsightly yellow or brown stain on your ceiling
- The thick application of drywall compound: if you have a textured ceiling, thinned drywall compound is used to create the visual effect. If applied too thickly, cracks can result as the compound shrinks as it dries. Make sure you get a qualified ceiling installer in Perth to avoid this issue.
- Truss uplift: When the roof truss pulls upward, which is what it is designed to do, it can sometimes lift the ceiling drywall along with it, making a crack between the ceiling and wall
- House settling: Homes naturally settle as they age which can create cracks in the walls and ceilings typically above doors and windows as well as in corners.
- Moisture: Houses in colder temperatures without adequate ventilation can have a build-up of moisture in the ceiling cavity which can result in the expansion or contraction of framing members, creating cracks in the ceiling below.
While some cracks do not pose a material risk to the structure and safety of the house, it is important to understand the root cause of the cracks to avoid long term damage or ceiling collapse. If left unattended, cracks may develop and invite mould growth or act as an entry point for termite and other pests.
Signs to Look Out For
There are a few things to look out for when identifying the cracks that require attention from professional ceiling contractors in Perth:
● Loud cracking noises
● Sagging of the plasterboard
● Plasterboard sheeting falling, pulling, or dropping
● The appearance of small blisters
If you notice any of the above signs, you should consult expert ceiling companies in Perth immediately while the chances of repair are higher than the chances of replacement. In general, fine, straight cracks are usually superficial and nothing to worry about. But anything unusual or accompanied by one or more of these signs will require the services of professional ceiling repairs Perth.
Why Perth Ceiling Repairs is the place to call
When it comes to repairing the cracks in your ceiling if you don’t have much experience it can be quite tricky and even dangerous if you don’t have the right tools on hand. A quicker and easier way to get the job done is by calling Perth Ceiling Repairs who will be happy to help you with any ceiling problems you may have. They boast competitive prices and offer a free, no-obligation quote for your convenience. Call them today and take advantage of the best ceiling fixer in Perth